One place that germs and bugs can manifest themselves easily is the changing room of a sports team or gym. In these situations things can spread rapidly because of a close community and the atmosphere, as well as those involved sharing towels clothes and other such items.
There are a range of ailments that can prevail in this kind of environment, and although they don’t tend to be the kind of thing that will cause major health damage they will cause irritation and discomfort.
Bugs and Germs that can infect a changing room:
Some of the unpleasant hidden additions to a changing room include:
- Athletes foot –this is a fungal infection that thrives in humid dark places – exactly why it favours between the toes in a human or the dankness of a changing rooms. It causes itchy flaky rashes, red skin and lives between the toes.
- Warts and Veruccas – these are harmless but unpleasant looking lumps on the hands and feet caused by the human papilloma virus. They thrive in areas such as changing rooms and around swimming pools
- PVL-MSSA – this is a condition that can come from sharing towels and ice baths, but also from close contact sports. The PVL-MSSA bug leads to unsightly boils, abscesses and carbuncles and in serious cases can spread to the bloodstream and cause widespread infection. The condition is caused by a strain of bacteria, known as methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus, that produces a toxin called Panton-Valentine leukocidin.
- Scrumpox – also known as herpes gladiatorum because of its link with martial arts, this crusty rash is caused by the herpes simplex virus. As the bug takes hold people experience itching and burning sensations on the skin before a crop of painful fluid-filled blisters appear.
Avoiding The Spread Of Bugs and Germs In A Changing Room
While not life threatening these bugs and germs are unpleasant and definitely worth avoiding. In order to avoid them spreading in the changing rooms then what can you do?
- Have a clean routine – make sure that you and your staff know the best techniques to avoid bugs and germs breeding in your premises – after all it looks bad for business if there’s a reputation for these issues. Clean regularly so that there is no opportunity for bugs and germs to breed and multiply.
- Use great cleaning products – choosing the right cleaning products is one of the most important steps towards ensuring you are free from bugs and germs in the changing room. A high quality bleach, multi surface cleaner, good quality laundry products and the right equipment to get the most out a cleaning routine are the most important investments you can make.
- Laundry routines and discouraging towel sharing – sharing towels is a bad idea, therefore providing clean towels or a laundry service is one way to ensure that an outbreak caused by bugs and germs isn’t your fault.